Re: [Mgs] New Wiring Harness

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] New Wiring Harness
From: Douglas Gaither <dbg.lists@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:31:54 -0700
I was considering an entire new harness because I have the blessing
from my wifey to do so.  I do realize this is a rather involved
undertaking and so I would still consider either repairing the damage
or replacing the rear harness.

Either way, I like the idea of fusing the rear part of the harness,
what size fuse would I use?  Would you suggest just an inline fuse?

Doug

On Apr 12, 2010, at 12:53 AM, Paul Hunt wrote:

> Quite probably a short on the red wires, as they weren't fused until
> 67. You need to find and fix the source of the short otherwise a new
> harness could go the same way.  The usual cause is metal boxes or
> tools rattling around in there, often damaging the wires at the back
> of the lights (not part of the harness).  The rear harness is a
> bigger job than the main harness in my experience as there are so
> many clips and fastenings.  A short that far back can also burn the
> main harness, but if the damage is only localised I'd be inclined to
> repair rather than replace, a full harness replacement is a big
> job.  What I *would* do is insert inline fuses in the red wire where
> the rear harness joins the main harness by the fusebox, and also in
> the white wire feeding the pump.  Both my cars and two I have worked
> on have had shorts in the pump that has damaged both harnesses.
>
> As far as the wiper motor is concerned things are very confused
> around 66 and 67, and the roadster is different to the GT.  There
> seem to be at least three if not four motors, switches and wiring
> arrangements about that time while it was changing from square
> single-speed to round two-speed, you need to be sure what you have
> before you can plan for an upgrade.
>
> PaulH.

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html