Re: [Mgs] Their back!!

To: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Their back!!
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:45:24 -0400
Simon,

You got to admit English is weird language, albeit "live".   I was at
an English public school for six years in the 50's and and we were
taught to use "s".   This maybe because they were in centuries old
dogma (it was founded in 597 - and that is not a typing error!).   So
maybe this "s" versus "z" is a toggle back and forward thing.  I have
16th century maps that use no "z" an a 1822 document signed by the
Archbishop of Canterbury that uses "s".   Again to quote Monty Python
".....it's all very strange really".

But back to MG things.......I forgot to mention that I saw no
mechanic shops in Havana.  I wonder if they are banished to the non-
tourist areas?   I though I would ask if anyone around had an MG but no luck.

At 02:02 PM 4/12/2010, Simon Matthews wrote:
>barrie,
>
>On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca> wrote:
> > Mark,
> >

> > is recognise (spelt with an "s" - as that is the English way) that
> > it's is a shortened version of  it is.
>
>The use of -ise is actually relatively recent in English usage. I have
>a Compact  Oxford English dictionary that I bought in 1975 -- it shows
>words spelled using  -ize as preferable to words spelled -ise.
>
>More recently, there was an episode of Inspector Morse (the original
>series with  John Thaw), in which he identified an educated writer
>through the use of -ize spellings.

Regards

Barrie
(705) 721-9060