Re: [Mgs] MG flywheel. Is there balance in our MG flywheels?

To: MG LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MG flywheel. Is there balance in our MG flywheels?
From: cyberemp@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:41:48 +0000 (UTC)
your note turns up a question that has engaged me for some time.
Is there balance in our MG flywheels? Years ago I had the engine to my MGA
balanced, with the flywheel turned and a different ring gear installed.
There were no marks or instructions on the orientation of the flywheel for
installation.
Recently I had the balance of the flywheel of a later (76-80) MG checked, and
was told that it was not a perfect, or neutral balance.
I could find no markings on this flywheel for instalation either.
Is it possible that this variance is due to the motor involved? 3 main bearing
verses 5 main bearing?
When rebuilding the engine of my first car, a 1967 Ford Cortina GT, I was told
by my my mentor to make small marks on the flywheel and on the crankshaft end
so that I could reinstall the flywheel in the same orientation, in the hope
that the original assemblers in the factory had known what they were doing. He
said this with a smile, indicating a bit of doubt as to the attention given to
this matter.
So I offer this question to you, my fellow enthusiasts. Is there balance in our
flywheels?
Eric.
46 MG-TC
59 MGA