Re: [Mgs] MG flywheel. Is there balance in our MG flywheels?

To: <cyberemp@comcast.net>, "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MG flywheel. Is there balance in our MG flywheels?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:46:34 +0100
It's good practice to reassemble things as they came apart to avoid the risk
of introducing problems.  But if a flywheel (or crank) is balanced
separately, with neutral balance as they should be, they can be fitted
anyhow, and you wouldn't expect there to be any marks as what would they
mark?  Same with prop-shafts, the manuals make great play of marking the
flanges so they can be refitted in the same orientation, but as the shaft is
balanced off car it should be capable of being fitted to the flanges in any
orientation without any ill effects.  However if *dismantling* a propshaft,
you must mark all four pieces to ensure correct reassembly as otherwise you
could well upset the balance, as well as getting yokes in the correct
relationship.  Ironically the manuals only mention the yoke orientation, but
there are still two ways of doing that for each pair, as well as the sliding
joint.

PaulH.