Re: [Mgs] MGA overheating

To: thgun@comporium.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA overheating
From: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:22:04 -0700
Tom,

I doubt that rocker clearances would cause your overheating or low oil
pressure problems.

At this point, I don't think you know whether you have:
1. A problem causing the engine to PRODUCE excessive heat OR:
2. A cooling system that is not working properly.

Assuming the fan is working properly (and is installed the correct way
round), simply checking the temperature of the radiator when the
engine is hot should determine which of the above two possibilities is
the cause of your overheating problem.

Does your oil pressure start high, then drop, or is it never more than
about 20psi?

Simon

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 8:11 AM,  <thgun@comporium.net> wrote:
> I took the car out for another test drive. Drove about 4 miles and the temp
went up on the dash gauge to over 230 deg. f. I had a IF thermometer and the
temp at the sensor on the side of the engine read 210 deg. f. The dash gauge
seemed to be 30 or more deg. higher than the dash gauge.
>  When I got home I let the car idle a while. I noticed that when I revved
the engine I could hear a knocking. I plan to take the valve cover off and
check valve rockers. The oil was about 20 pounds at 3000 rpm, road speed.