Re: [Mgs] Flat towing

To: Paul Root <ptrmgb@gmail.com>, "Eugene Balinski" <eugeneb@nni.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Flat towing
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 12:36:58 -0600
Thank goodness, someone finally answered the original question.

Can't let this bit of misinfornation lie though.  Perhaps TR7 is
different from MGB.  The MGB 4-speeed does have an oil pump on the
output shaft that works whenever the rear wheels are traveling in
forward  direction.  These cars can be flat towed any distance without harm.

At 08:57 AM 12/16/2010 -0600, Paul Root wrote:
>I towed my TR7 from Orange County to San Diego. The transmission had broken.
>The flat tow completely eliminated any chance of fixing the transmission.
>
>That said, that 5 speed is completely different from the MG's 4 speed. The 5
>speed has an oil pump that is dependent on the tranny turning in the right
>direction. The 4 speed does not have that.

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive