Re: [Mgs] Flat towing

To: <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Flat towing
From: "Doug" <doug@embarqmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 14:11:52 -0500
I just recently sold my tow dolly as I purchased a car hauler to get all
four tires off the ground.  Much easier, safer, and smarter.  The tow dolly
was a great tool, and cost much less than a full sized trailer, but you
can't easily back up, take super sharp turns (can handle most turns), and
you always have the rear axle in motion.  It is also a tad bit more
difficult to safely load a car on a tow dolly than it is a full size
trailer.  Look around for a good used trailer.  I purchased my tow dolly
years ago for $225 (needed work), but got the trailer for $1200, which
included winch, battery, tool box and all the needed tackle.  Find one that
sits low to the ground as it makes for an easy load too.

Pros on the tow dolly are: less weight, less space in back yard, and less
expensive to maintain.  But the pros on the full size trailer out weigh the
tow dolly by far, especially on safety for the car in tow.....not to mention
it doesn't get near as dirty from the travels, and the trailer takes the
abuse from the road instead of the vehicle in tow.

Hope this helps......

Doug
54 MGA
71 MGB