Re: [Mgs] TF replica FS on ebay

To: <rocknatural@gmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] TF replica FS on ebay
From: Mike Eldred <redscirocco@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:59:29 -0500
If you can find a "nice" TF for $9k or even $15K, buy it.  You'll make a lot
of money when you sell it for twice that later.  They're going for $25k to
$35k now. Most are hovering around $30k. A survivor/driver will run about
$25k.  Even the ones with "issues" are going for more than $20k.  $9k will get
you a basket case that's more or less complete for restoration.
The TF, once the red-headed stepchild of the T-series, is now one of the most
sought-after models.  Only 9600 were built, you know, including the 1500s.
And they were all built in an MG factory.

I do think the Victors are nice.  Would I trade my real TF for one? Nope.

Mike Eldred

> Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 12:12:10 -0600
> From: rocknatural@gmail.com
> To: Mgs@Autox.Team.Net
> Subject: Re: [Mgs] TF replica FS on ebay
>
> On 2/10/2011 3:59 PM, Geoff wrote:
> > The thing I don't understand about replica's is when they cost nearly
> > as much as buying the real thing. I mean, when this was new, what did
> > a reasonably driver go for? I've seen some really nice replica's of
> > cars like the Porsche 550 and the original GT40's, and those I can
> > actually understand, I mean, I'll NEVER be able to afford a real one,
> > and the replica's can be very nicely put together. But for a car that
> > remains relatively affordable...I don't get it.
> >
> > I disagree with the premise that a replica can't have provenience. It
> > won't be of the same luster as an original, but if I were shopping for
> > a 550 replica, I'd certainly place a Beck replica higher on the list
> > than another. That's certainly some type of provenience. I just
> > wish "kit cars" didn't have the stigma they do. I saw a Factory Five
> > Shelby Coupe and FF GTM recently at an event. Those were impressively
> > built and engineered cars. I think they've had as much attention, or
> > more, paid to them than our Mg's did when new...
> >
> > All of that said, I'll bet an MGB based, chevy powered TF replica
> > would be a wild ride.
> The Victor, in good tune, is a wild ride without the Chevy engine.
>
> The TF has tiny drum brakes and a wee little engine. I never owned a TF, but
I did drive a 1949 TC for a while and it was a clattery, tin-toy car. I loved
it, but it had serious safety issues. For instance, the brake slave cylinders
had seals that used a tiny metal daisy to hold them in shape. Just one "petal"
of one seal broke and there were no brakes at all, a really bad design.

> The Victor is all MGB, brakes, suspension, drive-train and all. It's a great
improvement on the original TF. The fiberglass body won't rust. My Victor has
a 45 pound solid brass grill. A nice TF is worth around $9,000 to $15,000, but
there are hundreds, if not thousands of them still on the road. I have heard
estimates that there are less than 20 Victor turn-key cars still driving.
Nobody seems to know what happened to the kit-Victors. The estimator for my
insurance company valued my car at over $50,000 a few year ago. He said he
based it mostly on rarity and availability.

> My Victor sold for $16,000 in 1981, when you could get a concourse TF for
less. I would much rather drive the Victor than a TF.