Re: [Mgs] fuel hose replacement

Subject: Re: [Mgs] fuel hose replacement
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 10:15:20 -0000
An American car with emissions kit has a vented tank so it isn't going to
pressurise anyway, and that can be avoided on earlier tanks by simply
removing the filler cap!  That has to be done on those tanks anyway, as any
pressure applied to blowing fuel back into the tank is simply going to push
fuel back out of the feed pipe as soon as the pressure is released.

But as this is a 75 anyway, presumably a rubber bumper, the pump is above
the top of the tank in any case and you won't get any siphoning with the
pump disconnected unless you deliberately lower the hose.  You may get some
when disconnecting the hose from the tank pipe if that is what you have, but
if you have the new one to hand it isn't going to be much.  You can ignore
any drainage from the pipe leading to the front, it will be negligible.

However I changed the pump at the roadside on my chrome bumper and got no
siphoning at all, I presume because of the anti-rollover valve in the filler
cap on the sealed tank allows a small negative pressure to develop after
driving for a while.  When I subsequently replaced the hoses in the garage
(without driving it first) it pee'd out.

PaulH.