[Mgs] Rattle in dash

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Mgs] Rattle in dash
From: "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 18:08:24 +0200
Dear list,

Now the season has started, I took the GT for a ride today.
Weather is great - around 14 deg C and full sun.
No I became aware of a light rattle in the dash, which I recken to derive
from the speedometer.
The rattle starts to occur above 30 mph and then stays on till standstill.
The frequency of the rattle is about 5 rattles on - pause - 5 rattles down.
The cable has been replaced less then 10,000 miles ago, though the time from
replacement is about 15 years.

So I took the instrument apart from the dash.
I tested the 90 deg right angle gear and that seems not to show any play in
the gears.
So it seems, that the speedo is the most suspect.
Are there any guidelines for troubleshooting a speedo?
My regular parts supplier suggested to try to apply some light oil in order
to make the old instrument moving better.

So what are your opinions?
It concerns a Feb 1971 make MGB GT - Calif specs.
Without overdrive.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Hans Duinhoven