[Mgs] rear end noise

Subject: [Mgs] rear end noise
From: mgbob at juno.com (mgbob at juno.com)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:32:27 GMT
Hi Paul,  Can you describe the noise?   A rattle, growl, grumble, whine, etc?
It's difficult to determine the source of a sound in MGB when top is up, and
not much easier when top is down. You might try removing battery cover, though
the additional tire noise will probably cancel all but most distinct sounds.
A test for the thrust washers in the diff is to lock the wheels with the
brakes and to turn the driveshaft at the rear axle with your hand. More than
1/4" of free rotation is cause to consider replacing the washers, and at
greater than 3/16 one should plan on it soon.   Last time I checked, the two
types of washers were available at Moss, and the pinion pin too, but not the
gears.Bob