Re: [Mgs] another oil question? really?

To: "crk@godblessthe.us" <crk@godblessthe.us>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] another oil question? really?
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 18:41:43 -0700
Cc: "<mgs@autox.team.net>" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Cylinders are supposed to be round not oval. Furthermore using an automotive
boring bar I can't think of any way to bore them oval.
To check for the original bore size you check at the bottom of the bore. To
check for wear and oval wear check the bore near the top both length wise and
crosswise.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 7, 2014, at 9:20, "Clayton Kirkwood" <crk@godblessthe.us> wrote:
>
> Yes! Ok, I've had my 62 mga engine rebuilt 3 times by "experts". The
current
> iteration seems solid - put a couple thousand miles on her. But she sips
oil
> modestly. The guy who did the machine shop work for my 59 Land Rover told
me
> that most machine shops and rebuilders machine the cylinder walls wrong.
> They make the cylinders round instead of slightly oval toward the bottom of
> the stroke which considers the pull and push rotation of the driveshaft and
> connector arm. Seems reasonable to me.
>

> So the question. Should I increase the viscosity of the oil to allow less
> oil burn, and/or, go to synthetic which won't burn off?
>

> Also by now, I'm figuring she has finished running in and plan to change
> oil/filter.
>

> "We live in the greatest nation in the history of the world," he pleaded.
"I
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/richard.ewald@gmail.com