Re: [Mgs] Turn Signal Stalk

To: Michael MacLean <rrengineer.mike@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Turn Signal Stalk
From: Robert's New iPad <mgbobh@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2021 17:41:43 -0500
Cc: Mglist <mgs@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-99B3EF79-2AD1-4FFA-AC0F-7B26D663DB96
        charset=utf-8

Hi Mike,
   It is supposed to be self-cancelling, though that does require about 1/4 t=
urn of the steering wheel to engage the cancelling mechanism.
   If you remove the steering column cover, a bit of a trick in itself, you w=
ill see from the left the steering column.  On it should be a black spring c=
lip that has a squared bump shape.  That bump should be on same plane as the=
 =E2=80=9CC=E2=80=9D shaped plastic claws on the turn signal control.  With w=
heels straight ahead and the steering wheel centred, that bump should be mid=
-way between the two claws.
   The way it is supposed to work is that when the turn lever is set for tur=
ns, the spring clip, as it swings around on the column, contacts one of the C=
 claws, dislodging it from where it is parked, and the system cancels.
   On most roads in CT, the radius of turns at intersections is great enough=
 that the self-cancel does not engage.  I put an inexpensive beeper into the=
 circuit at the flasher unit, as the little indicator lights are dim.
  Some have fitted brighter LEDs in place of the signal indicators. Having b=
loodied myself sufficiently when installing LEDs into the instruments, I wil=
l leave the signal indicators to some distant time in the future when I migh=
t have the dashboard out. =20
  It=E2=80=99s my opinion that the easiest way to address your question is t=
o ensure that the cancelling device is set properly and to install a sound-m=
aking device/beeper, then to appreciate that our roads are wider and interse=
ctions built with greater radius than those in the UK when these cancelling d=
evices were thought to be an improvement over the pneumatic, time-sensitive d=
evices used in TDs, TFs and MGAs.
Bob

> On Jan 3, 2021, at 3:24 PM, Michael MacLean <rrengineer.mike@att.net> wrot=
e:
>=20
> Just wondering.  Is the turn signal stalk on my 69 MGB GT supposed to be s=
elf canceling? As it is right now, I have to remember to put it back in the m=
iddle position after making a turn.  This is something I am used to because m=
y Bugeye has a three position switch on the dash that you have to click back=
 to the center position after making a turn.  On the Bugeye though, it's a l=
ittle bit easier because there is a huge bright green light right in front o=
f your face on the dash.  In fact, you can't ignore it at night it is so bri=
ght blinking at you.  Not so with the MG.  The lights are two little dim ill=
uminated arrows.  While they are somewhat noticeable at night, you just don'=
t notice these lights in the daytime.  Sorry, just sitting around on a Sunda=
y morning and needed something to complain about.
> Mike MacLean
> 1969 MGB GT
> 1960 Bugeye
> 1956 Austin Healey BN2
>=20
> Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android

--Apple-Mail-99B3EF79-2AD1-4FFA-AC0F-7B26D663DB96
        charset=utf-8

ike,</div><div dir=3D"ltr">&nbsp; &nbsp;It is supposed to be self-cancelling=
, though that does require about 1/4 turn of the steering wheel to engage th=
e cancelling mechanism.</div><div dir=3D"ltr">&nbsp; &nbsp;If you remove the=
 steering column cover, a bit of a trick in itself, you will see from the le=
ft the steering column. &nbsp;On it should be a black spring clip that has a=
 squared bump shape. &nbsp;That bump should be on same plane as the =E2=80=9C=
C=E2=80=9D shaped plastic claws on the turn signal control. &nbsp;With wheel=
s straight ahead and the steering wheel centred, that bump should be mid-way=
 between the two claws.</div><div dir=3D"ltr">&nbsp; &nbsp;The way it is sup=
posed to work is that when the turn lever is set for turns, the spring clip,=
 as it swings around on the column, contacts one of the C claws, dislodging i=
t from where it is parked, and the system cancels.</div><div dir=3D"ltr">&nb=
sp; &nbsp;On most roads in CT, the radius of turns at intersections is great=
 enough that the self-cancel does not engage. &nbsp;I put an inexpensive bee=
per into the circuit at the flasher unit, as the little indicator lights are=
 dim.</div><div dir=3D"ltr">&nbsp; Some have fitted brighter LEDs in place o=
f the signal indicators. Having bloodied myself sufficiently when installing=
 LEDs into the instruments, I will leave the signal indicators to some dista=
nt time in the future when I might have the dashboard out. &nbsp;</div><div d=
ir=3D"ltr">&nbsp; It=E2=80=99s my opinion that the easiest way to address yo=
ur question is to ensure that the cancelling device is set properly and to i=
nstall a sound-making device/beeper, then to appreciate that our roads are w=
ider and intersections built with greater radius than those in the UK when t=
hese cancelling devices were thought to be an improvement over the pneumatic=
, time-sensitive devices used in TDs, TFs and MGAs.</div><div dir=3D"ltr">Bo=
24 PM, Michael MacLean &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rrengineer.mike@att.net";>rrengi=
 dir=3D"ltr">Just wondering.&nbsp; Is the turn signal stalk on my 69 MGB GT s=
upposed to be self canceling? As it is right now, I have to remember to put i=
t back in the middle position after making a turn.&nbsp; This is something I=
 am used to because my Bugeye has a three position switch on the dash that y=
ou have to click back to the center position after making a turn.&nbsp; On t=
he Bugeye though, it's a little bit easier because there is a huge bright gr=
een light right in front of your face on the dash.&nbsp; In fact, you can't i=
gnore it at night it is so bright blinking at you.&nbsp; Not so with the MG.=
&nbsp; The lights are two little dim illuminated arrows.&nbsp; While they ar=
e somewhat noticeable at night, you just don't notice these lights in the da=
ytime.&nbsp; Sorry, just sitting around on a Sunday morning and needed somet=
hing to complain about.<div id=3D"yMail_cursorElementTracker_1609705432469">=
Mike MacLean</div><div id=3D"yMail_cursorElementTracker_1609705443149">1969 M=
GB GT</div><div id=3D"yMail_cursorElementTracker_1609705453045">1960 Bugeye<=
/div><div id=3D"yMail_cursorElementTracker_1609705469792">1956 Austin Healey=
ture_link" href=3D"https://go.onelink.me/107872968?pid=3DInProduct&amp;c=3DG=
lobal_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__AndroidUsers&amp;af_wl=3Dym&amp;af_s=
ub1=3DInternal&amp;af_sub2=3DGlobal_YGrowth&amp;af_sub3=3DEmailSignature">Se=
ockquote type=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr"><span>______________________________=
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs";>http://www.team.net/p=
ipermail/mgs</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team=
tp://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/mgbobh@gmail.com">http://autox.team.=
body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-99B3EF79-2AD1-4FFA-AC0F-7B26D663DB96--

--===============6121668386701398110==