Re: [Mgs] Two MGs and friends

To: "Robert's New iPad" <mgbobh@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Two MGs and friends
From: Richard Lindsay <richardolindsay@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 13:08:04 -0600
Cc: "mgs@autox.team.net List" <mgs@autox.team.net>

--0000000000005d6e2f05ed5ed8df

Thank you for the tips, Bob! Rui and Hans, like most car guys, are really
nice people.

R.

On Sun, Nov 13, 2022, 9:09 AM Robert's New iPad <mgbobh@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>         It=E2=80=99s good to read of your adventures, and to learn of you=
> connection with Hans and Rui whom I know only by this list=E2=80=99s corr=
espondence.
>         Do you still have the original wheel cylinders for TD?  Mine were
> pitted; I bought new. Then I disliked the apparent cheesiness of them so =
> had my originals sleeved.
>         Many say that you can clean the wet shoes with brake cleaner.
> Probably so, though I would put one of the contaminated/cleaned shoes on
> each side, so any loss of effectiveness would be shared. And, I would put
> that shoe as the =E2=80=98trailing=E2=80=99 shoe on the wheels, as we don=
=E2=80=99t do much serious
> braking in reverse.
>         Me? For the cost of a new set of shoes I would buy the set.  Chec=
> Abingdon Spares site, as not too long ago they were on sale.
> Bob
>

> > On Nov 13, 2022, at 7:41 AM, Richard Lindsay <richardolindsay@gmail.com=
>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello friends,
> >    Before I comment on my two MGs I'd like to write a few words about a
> recent trip. Nancy and I just returned from Portugal on a trans-Atlantic
> repositioning cruise. 13 days sailing from Lisbon to Tampa! Whew! But
> before that crossing we spent ten days with two of this group's members:
> Hans Duinhoven in the Netherlands and Rui Gigante in Portugal.
> >    I have known both Hans and Rui for over two decades, Hans via this
> group and Rui via another group, if now he's also here. Rui I met
> face-to-face in Italy in about 1999, and I met Hans and his wife Tineke
> face-to-face just a few weeks ago. All are such lovely people. Thank you.
> >    I have been absent from this group for ages it seems, although I
> still read all posts. So here's my update.
> >    I currently have two MGs. The '53 TD that I restored a few years
> back, and a '72 MGB that I'm just finishing 'restoring' to 'driver' statu=
s.
> >    The TD needed a new brake master cylinder which I installed just
> before the overseas trip. It works great! So great in fact that it blew o=
ut
> the so-called seals on one 'new' rear slave cylinder, spilling brake flui=
> everywhere. I'll try to refrain from rude comments about the 'new'
> cylinder's country of origin but suffice to say, I'm disappointed - again=
.
> >    One question for the MG brain trust: Will the gush of brake fluid
> within the drum have permanently damaged the new brake shoes' linings, or
> can the shoes be washed clean with brake cleaner? Said another way; Shoul=
> I order new brake shoes when I order the new slave cylinder?
> >    The MGB just needs one more brake system bleed since it's all new an=
> a few air bubbles are almost certainly hiding in obscure places. That's i=
> for mechanical tweaks. Everything left to do is cosmetic.
> >    With that all said, et me conclude by saying it's nice to be back

l_attr">On Sun, Nov 13, 2022, 9:09 AM Robert&#39;s New iPad &lt;<a href=3D"=
te class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc so=
lid;padding-left:1ex">Hi Rick,<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 It=E2=80=99s good to read of your adventures, a=
nd to learn of your connection with Hans and Rui whom I know only by this l=
ist=E2=80=99s correspondence.<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Do you still have the original wheel cylinders =
for TD?=C2=A0 Mine were pitted; I bought new. Then I disliked the apparent =
cheesiness of them so I had my originals sleeved.<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Many say that you can clean the wet shoes with =
brake cleaner. Probably so, though I would put one of the contaminated/clea=
ned shoes on each side, so any loss of effectiveness would be shared. And, =
I would put that shoe as the =E2=80=98trailing=E2=80=99 shoe on the wheels,=
 as we don=E2=80=99t do much serious braking in reverse.<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Me? For the cost of a new set of shoes I would =
buy the set.=C2=A0 Check Abingdon Spares site, as not too long ago they wer=
e on sale.<br>
Bob<br>
&gt; On Nov 13, 2022, at 7:41 AM, Richard Lindsay &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ric=
hardolindsay@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">richardolindsa=
y@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Hello friends,<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Before I comment on my two MGs I&#39;d like to write a fe=
w words about a recent trip. Nancy and I just returned from Portugal on a t=
rans-Atlantic repositioning cruise. 13 days sailing from Lisbon to Tampa! W=
hew! But before that crossing we spent ten days with two of this group&#39;=
s members: Hans Duinhoven in the Netherlands and Rui Gigante in Portugal.<b=
r>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 I have known both Hans and Rui for over two decades, Hans=
 via this group and Rui via another group, if now he&#39;s also here. Rui I=
 met face-to-face in Italy in about 1999, and I met Hans and his wife Tinek=
e face-to-face just a few weeks ago. All are such lovely people. Thank you.=
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 I have been absent from this group for ages it seems, alt=
hough I still read all posts. So here&#39;s my update.<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 I currently have two MGs. The &#39;53 TD that I restored =
a few years back, and a &#39;72 MGB that I&#39;m just finishing &#39;restor=
ing&#39; to &#39;driver&#39; status.<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 The TD needed a new brake master cylinder which I install=
ed just before the overseas trip. It works great! So great in fact that it =
blew out the so-called seals on one &#39;new&#39; rear slave cylinder, spil=
ling brake fluid everywhere. I&#39;ll try to refrain from rude comments abo=
ut the &#39;new&#39; cylinder&#39;s country of origin but suffice to say, I=
&#39;m disappointed - again.<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 One question for the MG brain trust: Will the gush of bra=
ke fluid within the drum have permanently damaged the new brake shoes&#39; =
linings, or can the shoes be washed clean with brake cleaner? Said another =
way; Should I order new brake shoes when I order the new slave cylinder?<br=

&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 The MGB just needs one more brake system bleed since it&#=
39;s all new and a few air bubbles are almost certainly hiding in obscure p=
laces. That&#39;s it for mechanical tweaks. Everything left to do is cosmet=
ic.<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 With that all said, et me conclude by saying it&#39;s nic=
e to be back chatting.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Rick<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Mgs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"norefer=
rer">Mgs@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer =
noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.75<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs"; rel=3D"noreferr=
er noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a h=
ref=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=