mini-baja

Real-time race data project

To: mini-baja@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Real-time race data project
From: Dustin Weir <ccr_ii@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 22:49:10 -0800 (PST)
Hi Teams,

What follows is preliminary brainstorming, and no part
of it is finalized or permanent.

I've recently received preliminary approval from my
professors on a senior design project idea. I want an
NU capstone design group to design and implement a
real-time race data acquisition system (probably RFID
tags) to give teams feedback during the race (an
automatic version of what Auburn had). Some data I
proposed are: fastest lap time, current number of
laps, current place in the race, slowest lap time,
etc. and it would all be accessible mid-race, updated
real-time (perhaps even distributed over a network).

I would like to get as many teams as possible to
participate. I think the receiver and software will be
funded by our university, but for a team to
participate, we would probably ask them to pay for
their own transmitter and whatever costs it will take
to add their car to the existing system. They will
allow their data to be accessed by all participating
teams, and they will have access to all other
participating teams' data. Any teams that don't
participate will not be allowed to see the data.

Who might be interested? What data would you like to
see? Any ideas for implementing the other
events/scoring? What's your price range to
participate? Anybody from SAE interested (maybe buying
the system from Northeastern)? What kind of challenges
do you think I might run into?

Who won't participate? Why?

The current timeline puts this system on the track for
the 2006 races.

-Dustin Weir
Northeastern University MiniBaja President