mini-baja

RE: Full Retail Price

To: <jcs28@buffalo.edu>, "Charles Ray" <Charles.Ray@student.oc.edu>,
Subject: RE: Full Retail Price
From: "James and Bridgette Perrin" <jmperrin@twmi.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:16:12 -0400
You guys are all interpretting the rule to what you think it means.  It's
best to ask the rules committee now and get an official answer for the
2005-6 season (next year it will most likely be different).  Last year I
e-mailed them and asked what was the definition of "MSRP", especially for
service parts.

Honda has an MSRP for service parts that is huge, but if you pick up any
Dirtwheels magazine, you will find any dealer that will sell them for 30%
off.  Anybody actually building a car would pay this price, and hence that
was the price I was allowed to use. "Price that the average person would
expect to pay" was the ruling for last year that I was told and went by.

I know our score was also audited, but Jason never questioned us on this
pricing policy I used.  However, I actually showed both prices in the
documention just in case Jason wanted to reverse their previous ruling.

I also asked the Formula SAE rules committe this same question, and they
also agreed to use the "price that the average person would expect to pay"
policy.

Other discrepencies with the cost report is that Jason added a bunch of
assembly time to our car.  If we can prover that our car can be assembled in
a given time, the scores should not be modified.  I would glady put on a
show of stripping our car to the frame and putting it back together in 3
hours.  In fact that would be an awesome part to add to the competition.
Teams could prove their car drives, pull it into a pit spot, strip it to the
frame, show it to the judges, reasseble it, and then drive it again in the
shortest amount of time.  The ultimate Mass Production test.

James