mini-baja

Re: CVT Tuning

To: jon.hastie@gmail.com
Subject: Re: CVT Tuning
From: "John G." <jjjsix6@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:54:27 -0800
Jon,

My response has to do with numerous people over the years asking for far too
specific information repeatedly, note: unless youre a top 5 team you
probably have never fully experienced this. I dont compete any more but I
clearly remember having to keep the guards on the car at all times or
someone would literally try to count the teeth on the sprocket.  Its one
thing to ask how to tune a CVT and its another to out right ask for what
springs and weights people use.  That is like walking up to a girl in the
mall and asking what her dress size is.  Sure someone might tell you but
its rude and serves you no purpose if the weight and gear ratio of their
car is different from yours.

How to tune your CVT:

1.      Set the drive CVT to engage slightly above the idle speed of your
engine.
  You might have 2 options for this and the supplier/manufacture should be
able to tell you the engagements points for various spring weight combos.

2.      Find a long straightaway and timing equipment.  Two people with a stop
watches will do a descent job of timing.

3.      Test different springs in the driven, might have 3 options.

4.      Pick the fastest combination in 100 to 150 feet and try a slightly
higher/low gear ratio to see if you get an improvement.

Might take days, weeks, or year to find a winning combination but youll
learn something.  In the real world companies spend trillions of dollars to
develop and protect information like this.  So you can call me a prick for
my response but I feel like people who ask this kind of questions are
insensitive to the hard work other people have devoted to their design.
Maybe the information isn't valuable to you because you didn't go through
the process to obtain it.