Re: 4/4 Rear oil Seal

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 4/4 Rear oil Seal
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 08:32:50 -0400
Fellow moggers:  I meant to send this directly, but pulled down the wrong
menu bar.  Oh well...

Bob "heat wave" Nogueira writes:

>>Will, I checked with the local "Little Morgan " (4/4) Guru,
                                  ^^^^^^

Okay, Bob.  Its not like I haven't noticed your recent references to the
"little" Morgan.  By my count this is the third time.  Hmmmm   I hazard to
guess that you have one of the "big" ones, you know, the ones with the
tractor motor?  ;-)

>>He says the
>>100,105 and 109 series engines used a rope seal. Somewhere along the
>>line they switched to a rope and cork seal, (116,122,1600) and this was
>>eventually replaced with a neoprene (sp) seal. According to Chuck, no
>>modification was ever made to the way they machined the  block or crank
>>for the different seals so any of the three types can be used in any of
>>the engines.  He prefers the rope seal.

I've spoken to the folks at Dave Bean Engr. and they say pretty much the
same thing.  I've ordered the new rope seal and will put it in as soon as it
arrives.  I've learned of the magic tool called the "Sneaky Pete," a wire
affair that one uses to pull the seal around from the other side.  That is,
the great virtue of the rope seal is that you don't have to drop the crank
to replace it (yipeeee).  The PO had mounted a cork seal, but its my guess
that that was also done w/o removing the crank, and that is a much harder
job to do well with cork (and ofcourse, impossible with a neoprene seal.

>>Chuck has owned his 67 4/4 since new and it has been a daily driver
>>with the exception of five years  ( late 70's).   He has rebuilt the
>>engine more times than most people  have changed oil , the result no
>>doubt of his love of Autocrossing.  At the Washington MOG event I
>>watched him turn better times in his 4/4 than any +4 and +8 . ( John
>>Shelly beat his time but was driving a highly modified +8)
>>All this and its a daily driver!

This only goes to show, the 4/4 is, truely, the Thinking Man's Mog!  I'd
like to shake his hand sometime.  Brothers in arms, so to speak?

>>You Know have every bit of knowledge I possess regarding the Ford
>>Engine.

I'm about maxed out on it at this level as well, but I'm leaning!  I'll also
say that DBE sells a book on the Kent engine, that I have ordered.  As soon
as it arrives, I'll post a 'review.'

Thanks, Bob, and keep us posted on your progress on your "big" Morgan!

Will "no engine envy here" Zehring