Side Curtains -Reply

To: morgans@autox.team.net, jblair@exis.net
Subject: Side Curtains -Reply
From: David Crandall <davidc@netwrk.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:43:08 -0400
1) The brackets on my 66 4/4 are painted black.

2) Does anyone know of a source for the replacement rubbers that go
around the perimeter ?  Replacements from the factory are larger than
original  on the edge that "slides" into the sidecurtain; hence, she don't go
in.  I was lucky enough to get some used ones from a fellow Mogster in
the UK a few years back, but they weren't originally from a Morgan and
he couldn't remember what they'd come off of.  I know most of us never
put these babies on, but just in case...!

3) Underheating (a rare problem!) - I'm curious about others experience
running without a thermostat.  My 4/4 seems quite happy without one
although it takes a good run to get up to 180-190.  One of our fellows
who's an engineer admonished me, saying that the engine is designed to
be most efficient at the higher temp.  My question - what am I
losing/risking by running without it?  Decresaed mileage seems nominal,
I'm not sure the reading on the guage is anywhere near what the engine
actually runs at anyway given the placement of the sending unit way up
on the radiator, I'm not a 10,000 mile a year driver being a New
Englander, etc.  So, what's the big deal?  My +4 has a supplementary
fan, so overheating is kept under control that way.  Avoiding the
expense of installing one on the 4/4, the issue of a pusher or puller fan
aside, is something I like, but...

David Crandall  1966 4/4, 1963 DHC, 1966 Volvo 122S (love those SUs!)

PS. Being sensitive to the recent message about overly long messages
that carry the whole original message, my mailer's default is set to NOT
include the original message when I reply, but it looks like some folks
have the opposite.  For me, it's OK to not have the original but maybe
others can't reset their preferences.  Just an afterthought in the spirit of
good netcitizenry.