Re: Side Curtains

To: RCooperman@aol.com
Subject: Re: Side Curtains
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 17:44:53 -0400
At 09:33 AM 7/18/96 -0400, RCooperman@aol.com wrote:

> I have a set of side curtains off a '67 4/4 that are also in need of
> work.  I plan on replacing the plexiglass and the felt.  I have two
> questions:
>
>   Have you found a source for the felt??

No, not yet.  In fact, I haven't started looking.  However, my dad
has been talking to a local upholstery shop about the rubber, and
possibly the felt.

As to the plexiglass.  Dad took them to a local plexiglass place.
They said that the only way to get the old windows out is to break
them.  This weekend, I'm going to try to use a heat gun and get them
hot enough to bend them so they will come out.

The plexiglass fabricator told use that he could replace the glass
for about $75 for both curtains.  Don't know if he has any felt
either.  Hopefully I'll know more this weekend and can let you know
next week.

>   What is the material around the plexiglass??  One of my curtains
>   cracked open at the top front corner and I need to get it welded.

The frame is Aluminumn.  You'll have to get the plexiglass out, and
then try to find a **good** welding shop that can heli-arc it for
you.

>As to your question, the brackets on my curtains look plated.

Thanks,  again, my dad took them to a local plater and they say that
they are Zinc plated.  So. the  brackets are being plated as I type.
Supposed to pick them up tomorrow.

We have to make a new lower panel and get the foam for it.  But
again that's what we're planning on working on this weekend.

Bob Couch has the replacement weather seal rubber that goes around
the outside of the curtain for about $45.  I'm hoping that I can
find a cheaper source from an upholstery shop locally.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!