Re: Side Curtains -Reply

To: David Crandall <davidc@netwrk.org>
Subject: Re: Side Curtains -Reply
From: George Gerth <ggerth@west.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:33:55 -0700
David Crandall wrote:

> 3) Underheating (a rare problem!) - I'm curious about others experience
> running without a thermostat.  My 4/4 seems quite happy without one

The "classic" auto shop answer is don't run the engine without the thermostat.
Without the restriction it
creates in the cooling system, water is pumped TOO fast thru the radiator and
the engine can OVERHEAT more than
if on is installed.  I recall reading that some race preparation folks install
a large washer instead of the
thermo, or install a thermo which has been modified to remain open but provide
the correct metering of coolant
flow.

But HELL, if your 4/4 is happy, be happy too...  It will just take a while
longer to warm up.

George.