Computer problems (No LBC)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Computer problems (No LBC)
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 17:48:48 -0400
Hey gang,

   I know from the traffic that we have a lot of automotive novices
on the various lists, and that's a good thing.

   I'm also assuming that many of them and even some of the automotive
experts are computer novices (maybe incorrectly).

   Let me pass on a couple of quick tips:

1. If you go away on vacation, unplug you computer equipment from the
   AC outlets, and unplug you direct connect modem from the telephone
   lines.

2. When there is a lightening storm in your area, unplug your
   equipment.

We have been having some violent thunder storm in the evenings lately
and several people have taken hits to their TV's excetra.

Over the past 20 years that I've been playing with computers, we have lost
more computers to lightening strikes to ** telephone lines** than any other
type of loss.

3. If you haven't heard or done it, back up your data files,
   especially your mail.

Our data is becomming our most important asset. As examples, I have several
pieces of mail on which I hope to write articles in the near
future.  A lot of the work has already been done.  All my tech
articles on my various cars and all my restoration and maintenance
logs on the cars are kept on the computer.

Think about all the paper work and books you have around the house.
What would happen if you had a fire?  Unfortunately, our hard drives
are very much like our file cabnets and book cases.  They hold a lot
of very interesting (and almost irreplacable) data.  However, it
doesn't take a fire to loose it.  Our computer system are sensitive!

So BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.  Then get a copy off site also.  Give a copy to a
friend or take a copy to work and stick it in you desk.

John  (Still rebuilding from my hard disk crash last Thru. night)

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!