MORGAN KINGPIN - INTRODUCTION

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: MORGAN KINGPIN - INTRODUCTION
From: jensvind@pacific.net.sg (Jens Vind Jensen)
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 20:35:27 +0800
Firstly let me take this opportunity to introduce myself, have been
listening in the dark for some time...

I'm Danish of origin and own two Morgans which are both back in Denmark, I'm
presently living in Singapore on my 4th year and have just bough a genuine
Lotus Seven here (sorry). My two Morgans are respectively a 1952 +4 Flat Rad
and a 1973 4/4 X-flow.

I bought my 4/4 in 1983 and have been using "her" everyday as only
transportation until I left for Singapore, ie. 9 years of all year driving,
including snow, ice and worse salted streets.

Then back to the kingpins, the first modification I did to the car was to
change the oil pipes to a greece nippel which I simply greece every say
3,000 miles (make sure to clean off excessive greece, as only greece inside
is doing good!)

I have then subsequently fitted bushes with a "spiral greece grove" that
holds a bit longer to the greece which is obviously thicker than oil. The
greece spiral is not my own invention, in fact you can find bushed in
Melvyns catalogue with such modification.

I have been changing my kingpins / bushes every say 100,000 km and my main /
rebound springs say every 200,000 - I could probably have driven longer, but
find that once you get familiar with changing kingpins it is a fairly easy
and stright forward job, it improve the cars handling so much that I find it
is all the efford worth.

A friend of mine did the trick with hardened kingpins, as far as I know the
only benefit was that the kingpin itself could last several bushes!!!

Jens

NB: would anybody know of a similar list for Lotus Seven's, as need some
advise on Seven's.