Re: Pilgrimage to Malvern Link

To: Myhekoenig@aol.com, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Pilgrimage to Malvern Link
From: CobMeister <CobMeister@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 12:53:59 EDT
Hey Myron,

My wife and I visited The Works two years ago and it was one of the high
points of our trip to England, Scotland, and Wales. Do be sure to let the
factory know in advance when you'll be there although if you turn up
unannounced they won't turn you away.

When we were there the tour was entirely self-guided which suited us just
fine!  You can just spend a couple of hours observing....  You will almost
certainly see some of the workers who built my '66 Plus 4 and your '67.... We
found the wood shop and the metal shop to be particularly fascinating.  At
that time the only area "off limits" to the tour was the machine shop but when
we requested special permission to tour the area nobody could remember why the
shop was off limits, so permission was granted and we wandered through that
area, too.

The only place with a "No Photos" sign was the upholstery shop... I was told
that was because the half dozen ladies sewing up interiors didn't like having
their photos taken without doing their hair...

I understand that there have recently been changes to the flow of work but
can't imagine that there will be any fundamental changes.  We will definitely
include The Works on our next trip over which will be the spring of '99
(unless we decide to go this August).

You might enjoy giving the book "Famous Car Factories-Morgan" (by Bengt Ason
Holm, 1991) a quick read before going over so you'll know what to look for.
Profusely illustrated, the book should still be in print at around $20 or your
local library could probably get ahold of it for you.

When you buy your regalia just before leaving The Works, splurge!  You will
later regret not having bought everything that caught your eye...  Be sure to
buy the small untitled paperback (says "Morgan" inside the wings on the cover)
which is published by the company and is their take on what was significant in
their history.  Also be sure to buy plenty of gifts for friends back home....
T-shirts will be the most popular gift.

DO, by all means, attend some Morgan owner events while you are in the UK!  I
particularly enjoyed the Trikesters--good people and definitely a different
breed of cat--but any Morgan event will be great.

By-the-bye, I think the main things in the same general area you should be
sure to see are Stonehenge and the city of Bath, both most impressive and well
worth a visit.

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA