RE: brake booster

To: "'morgans@autox.team.net'" <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: brake booster
From: Chris Ness <cness@asymtek.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:28:43 -0800
I don't know where to find the part for the brake booster for L.D.
McLaughlin, but this reminds me of one of my more interesting breakdowns.  I
had a really nice stock Austin Cooper S which was parked on the pier at
North Island Naval Air Station (San Diego area) and when I left the ship to
go home it had developed a small hole in the rubber diaphragm in the
booster.  It didn't suck a small amount of fluid out, oh no, there was a
huge cloud of pure white smoke that billowed out for about 5 seconds and
then stopped developing because the brake reservoir had been sucked dry.
Absolutely no braking power left.  I actually drove it home to Ocean Beach
(over the Coronado Bay Bridge) using the cable actuation of the hand brake
and lots of engine braking...although I think now in my more cautious and
mature age I would call for a tow, it worked quite nicely.  A simple rebuild
with a new rubber diaphragm, fill and bleed and back on the road.

Chris Ness
Carlsbad, Ca
'62 Plus 4