Re: Four v Two seaters

To: "." <linda.h@virgin.net>, "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@home.com>
Subject: Re: Four v Two seaters
From: "Vodden, Dave" <Dave.Vodden@Telematics.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:37:00 -0500
Michael D. Miles, PE wrote:

> 2e) Since our sidecurtains are not in prime condition, I haven't
>travelled with them on with the top down (often the older photos of
>four-seaters are shown this way).  I suspect it cuts the wind pretty
>well so back passengers are more comfortable.
>
>We have travelled through some rain showers with the top down (no
>sidecurtains) and the backseat did keep surprisingly free from water
>(not entirely, mind you) so the kids have learned to be tolerant of
>weather.  Lots of good experiences in kinder weather probably helped
the
>adjustment and don't forget that windbreaker!

Our 4 seater plus 4 has been used for family holidays and journeys up to
about 150miles.  I try to stay below 50mph and we try to stay off main
highways which makes journey times longer, but at the same time more
enjoyable.  The sidescreens stop short of the back seat and make no
difference for anyone travelling in the back.  Any rain and those in the
back get very wet very quickly.

When our boys were 8 and 11 it worked reasonably well as when required
we could put the top up and it went over their heads.  Now they are 14
and 17 and they don't fit under the cover.  With luggage as well (as we
were going to Halmog this year) the steering is light but OK.  The
weight in the back compensates for the 7 leaf springs and the ride is
very good, but on our rougher UK roads there is a tendency for the
number plate valance to scrape the ground from time to time.

Those things said.  For us it was the best way.  It meant the family
have been more involved in the "Morganeering" and we have all had a good
time.

Dave Vodden
1992 Plus 4 4 seater
Hampshire UK