Re: Bearing size

To: william.eastman@medtronic.com, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bearing size
From: DGreimel@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 05:57:42 EDT
Good advice Bill.  Believe it or not some engines will wear the main bearings
faster than the rods.  The TR6 is famous for it.  The TR3 doesn`t seem to
although it only has three of them.  One might also make very certain that
all of the shells in the box are the same.  Sometimes they aren`t.
Plastigage is an excellent $.89 tool.  If you could get hold of a mic and
check journal roundness, that would be a good idea too. Just be sure that the
crank is tight against the top bearing so that you aren`t pulling the piston
down while tightening the platsigage in place.  I had a student do that and
proclaim the clearances were .002 although I could shake the rods.
Don