Re: Con Rod Bearings- HELP!

To: carfindr@tiac.net, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Con Rod Bearings- HELP!
From: DGreimel@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 06:09:09 EDT
Jeff.  You can hope that the coolant trickle is only the head gasket but
untill you have the head off there is no telling.  It could also be the head
itself or crack in a cylinder but it is more likely that it is the base
gasket between the bottom of the cylinder and the crankcase.  If someone took
the engine apart they probably disturbed these gaskets but did not pull the
cylinders out to replace them.
You need not be concerned that the rod numbers do not match the cylinder
numbers, but you must be VERY concerned if the number on the cap does not
match the number on the rod  As I said before, this is critical. Both numbers
must also be on the same side of the rod.
It is good that you have discovered the coolant leak because antifreeze and
oil, heated and stirred, create super glue.  I can`t explain the chemistry
but can guarantee it will happen.  One day you hit the starter and discover
that the engine will not turn.  It sounds as though your rebuild was an "in
car" ring job done by someone who was less that competant.
Good Luck!
Don