Re: disproportion

To: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@home.com>
Subject: Re: disproportion
From: " LMG@GoMoG " <gomog@angelfire.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 06:49:36 -0400
On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 13:36:43   Michael D. Miles, PE wrote:
I assume then that the axle location appears correct
 when the car is jacked up and the axle hangs down
 freely.  The question is, how does the shock
 positioning overcome the location of the axle on the
 springs without heavily distorting the springs or
 sliding in the spring shackles?

LMG
GoMoG at
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/GoMoG/

Normal is a relative term and I did not closely examine
 the exact positioning of the axle in relation to the
 wheel arches when changing the shock positioning way
 back when.

However, the newer bracket placement has the shocks
 exerting pressure up, forward, and away from the Ubolt
 plates, whereas the older system angled inward from
 the wheels to the bracket on the "yolk".

Shouldn't that difference in positioning force the
 chassis up and forward from the axle a bit (the amount
 of this "bit" being a function of the relative
 strength of the leaf springs and shocks etc) and could
 that bit account for the perspective difference you
 saw? If not, well..., back to the drawing board.

LMG