Re: Electronic ignition

To: "Stuart J. Ross" <stuross@nac.net>,
Subject: Re: Electronic ignition
From: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:21:48 -0600
Hey Stu,

I am going to go to a Pertronix (note spelling) Ignitor on my Plus 4 as soon
as I get the new carbs on AND as soon as I've done a dry run by installing a
Pertronix unit on Janet's Alpine. I have the unit for the Alpine sitting here
but have not been able to find the time to install it... looks like it will
take about a half-hour! The instructions look really, really simple.

The Pertronix for the Alpine came from Moss 'cause I got a pretty good deal
($59--I know a guy) and, as you doubtless know, Moss does not stock Alpine
parts. Moss will have the TR4A unit on the shelf and it should cost about $79,
though the price may be a bit down by now. Do not pay more than $79 without
shopping around.

One way to approach it is to call the Pertronix factory direct at
909-599-5955. I also have the number for their major distributor around
somewhere and could likely dig it up if you like.

Since these units have been around for a couple of years now, there are a lot
of them in use and I have heard very, very complaints. I do know of a couple
of failures, both "infant mortality" where the unit failed almost immediately
after installation and they were immediately replaced by the factory as
Pertronix has a 30 month warranty. I also recall a case where a guy managed to
get 180 degrees out of time, don't hardly see how.

I probably should mention that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way
our Alpine starts and runs. I am going to the Pertronix because I expect it to
improve all aspects of the car's performance... the good will get "gooder."

Cheers 'n Ciao,

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA