Re: info on Essex V6?

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: info on Essex V6?
From: Gary Kneisley <kneisley@ohio.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 22:53:37 -0400
John, Iain and all,

My brother spent a good number of years working for Ford in the engine
building area (foundry chemistry).  I forwarded your question and comment
about the Essex engine to him and this is his reply....

Gary
1991 +8
Grafton, OH

He writes:

Here is what I know about the Essex 3.8L engine.  Back in the early 1980's
Ford built a nice new engine plant in Essex county, Ontario Canada.  It is
approximately on the city limits of Windsor.  For the next ten years if you
bought a Ford product and it had a 3.0 L V6 engine it was built in Lima Ohio.
 If it had a 3.8L V6 it was probably built in the Essex engine plant. This
was in the days of cast iron cylinder blocks with aluminum heads.

It was a strong, heavy engine compared to the current crop but as I remember
the mileage was not much better than the V-8. It had various configurations
over the years and at various times was rearwheel drive and then both front
and rear wheel.