info on Essex V6?

To: "Iain J. Hamilton" <ihamilto@imd.cig.mot.com>, morgans@autox.team.net,
Subject: info on Essex V6?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:49:26 -0400
I received the following post a few days ago.

-----------

At 07:53 AM 7/20/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I have often wondered whether the essex V6 is related to the windsor
>smallblock V8 (or any other). Even the rocker covers are the same
>shape. Where was the essex designed? Was the Essex used much in the
>US? If you have time perhaps you would let me know. Ps, I liked your
>kent information.: I have always liked those.

Iain,

   Unfortunately I don't know the answers to your question.  The info I
have on the Kent eng was provided by one of the major companies that
supports the Formula Ford racing in this country.

I couldn't find much on the Essex engine.  The following is the only
real reference I found on the NET other than the article my page:

http://www.niagara.com/~bevc/caprius8.htm

The ancient inline six was replaced by an all new 3.8 liter, 90 degree even
fire V-6, rather confusingly called the "Essex" V-6. Despite the name this
engine was in no way related to the British 3.0 liter, 60 degree V-6 that
was used in European Capris for many years; it was an entirely new design,
and actually had more in common with Ford's "Windsor" and "Cleveland" V-8s
than with the British V-6. The 3.8 V-6 had many features that suggested real
performance potential, but during the period it was used in the Capri it was
strictly an economy engine. In its initial form the 3.8 was equipped with a
2 bbl. carburetor, and produced 105 HP. It was invariably mated to a Ford C5
automatic transmission.

Can anyone shed any more light (history) on this eng. than the quote I
have?

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org