newsletters

Re: Newsletter Photo Quality

To: "'newsletter'" <newsletters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Newsletter Photo Quality
From: Chip Bond <spirals@esinet.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 15:48:23 -0500
Hello fellow editors!

I'm delighted at the prospects of this list.=20

I have followed with interest the current discussion about scanning, =
printing, image manipulation, postage etc. It really is a lot of work, =
isn't it? It's amazing we can find any time to enjoy our pet projects. =
To that end, would anyone be interested in swapping (or is it swopping?) =
letterworthy articles? This may allow us a few more moments to =
concentrate on the cars themselves, yet still provide a "good read" for =
the members.=20

I wrote this for our last issue. Feel free to pick it up if you like. If =
you have something that you can send along, I'd love to see it.

Chip Bond
Newsletter Editor
Shenandoah Valley British Car Club
tr4racer@esinet.net
______________________________
It always seems to start the same way. I see a "classic for sale" =
classified in one of the car magazines I get. Somebody is selling one of =
 those?!. I always wanted one. My wife knows I always wanted one.  And =
this one certainly seems to have it all. The price doesn't even seem so =
bad. And even better, I recognize the area code on the return phone =
number. I'm tempted to call, all right. And almost do. Then I think =
about the porch rails, they need work. And I promised the kids I'd fix =
up a play room in the basement. It's really not such a great time to =
commit to something like that. Forget it.

A month goes by. I've almost entirely forgotten about it. I get my new =
issue and There It Is Again. This time it says "must sell, price =
reduced". It is a dull aching feeling. I pull out all my reference =
books. Yea, not that many made. And even fewer equipped with this =
special group of options. Gee, they only imported a handful. And the =
color is even more rare! I think "will I ever have a chance like this =
again?". I answer "probably not",  pick up the phone and dial the =
number. After all, what damage could a simple phone call do?=20

"Yea, I've had it for fifteen years. Hate to get rid of it but =
[description of some personal emergency]." It has four "brand new" such =
and suchs, the whatdoyacallits have all been replaced and "you know how =
hard it is to find them". But the realimportantstuff is "bone stock =
original" and in "unbelievably good shape".  And to top it all off, he =
even has a full set of thingamajings "unopened, in the factory boxes"! =
Surely there has never been a better deal in all of automotive history!=20

Really excited now, we make plans to meet so I can inspect the car at a =
mutually convenient time, like right this minute. I scribble down =
directions, grab my reference books and fly out the door. Halfway down =
the driveway I slam on the brakes. Forgot the checkbook. Dammit, if I =
don't hurry someone may get there before I do. Then how would I ever =
live with myself.=20

On the drive there I repeatedly tell myself that I'm in control, this is =
just another car deal that I don't really need. I tell myself that I am =
the coolest manifestation of objective reason that ever walked the =
planet. I believe it too.

Finally I arrive. I play with a few things in the front seat, arranging =
the stack of mail, pick up the candy wrappers, slowly roll up the =
windows. Don't want to appear anxious. I calmly knock on the front door, =
introduce myself and am escorted inside. The owner is on the phone, =
gives me a wave and a quick smile then proclaims into the mouthpiece =
"No. I've got someone looking at it just now. Come by in a half-hour." =
Oh-Oh. Just as I thought. I just knew there would be a lot of interest =
in it. Good thing too. If I ever decide to sell it (perish the thought), =
I could make a little money.

The car is more sculptural than I had imagined. And solid, as if carved =
out of a slab of granite. The paint is deep as the Pacific Ocean. The =
engine roars with a symphony of mechanical perfection. The interior is =
pure.  I know I cannot live without this car. I've waited for this =
moment all my adult life. I have arrived! I write the check!=20

Later, after a few months have passed, I get an issue of one of those =
car magazines I subscribe to, and there, in the classifieds, is a =