Re: [Nobbc] January 12th tour

To: "North Bay British Car Club" <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Nobbc] January 12th tour
From: "ddcherry" <ddcherry@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 03:49:51 -0800
Ron & all,
 This is a classic drive for Sonoma and Napa Counties. Crane Canyon is a good
short cut to Glen Ellen through Bennet Valley.
Trinity Rd / Oakville Grade Rd to Yountville is a nice twisty road over the
hills separating Sonoma & Napa Valleys. Worth
mentioning are two canyon roads you will see on your right after going over the
first ridge and before you reach Yountville. The
first one will be Mt Veeder Rd, it takes you all the way to Napa, a nice little
back road. If you have time some day take it and
watch for Redwood Rd on your right, take it and drive up the road for about a
mile to the "Hess Collection Winery" it's worth the
side trip. The second one you will pass is Dry Creek Rd, it will also take you
to Napa, while taking you pass some local wineries
and giving you views of Napa Valley along the way. The two roads end near each
other and one can make a nice loop out of them if
you like a drive that avoids the main roads.
 Lots of nice back roads & destinations, to many to mention here. I would like
to mention one winery in Calistoga since your going
there already...the Castello di Amorosa, if you haven't heard of it, it's an
incredible castle located just south of town. To find
it from down town Calistoga head south on Hwy 29, immediately start watching
for Maple St on your left, when you see it
immediately look for a sign on your right and turn up the drive way, it is very
easy to miss! This winery will blow you away, the
tour takes 1 1/2 hours! You would need to make reservations to take the free
tour, if you don't have time at least take the 5
minute drive up to the castle before leaving the Calistoga area you will not be
disappointed!!! and you will know where to bring
the relatives the next time they come out to visit.
 FYI, don't forget Napa County wineries have to charge for tasting, so don't
hold it against them. Sonoma County wineries
have to charge if they claim to use Napa valley grapes on their label,
otherwise the tasting is usually free.
 I am committed to a motorcycle ride for Saturday so I will keep an eye out for
a hot collection of cars in Calistoga as we will
also be stopping there for refreshments. Would be nice to see you again Ron and
meet the rest of you. I still have not put my
roadster back on the road yet, although a couple of months ago I did go out and
try to start it so the wife would stop bugging me
to get it out of the garage. I stopped driving it to work one day and parked it
in 92...92? God, that's what the tag says on it.
No wonder the wife thinks I'm crazy we meet in 96. I told her all I have to do
is hook up a battery. Okay, I also had to put in
gas, oil & water, replace the spark plug wires (I stole them years ago to use
in another car) file the points, rotor and cap.
Alright, get in and step on the clutch, rebuilt the master clutch cylinder.
Okay we're ready, get in and step on the brakes,
rebuilt the master brake cylinder. Now I'm ready, all I have to do is pull out
the choke & turn the key, smell gas...at least the
pump is working, fix the gas leaking from the float in the front carb (I use a
pair of Zenith Strombergs). Okay, now one more
time, okay...3 days later in all, but now I'm ready, turn the key and it fired
right up just like it had run yesterday...cool, I
love my car. Wife says it can stay in the garage...wish Steve was still here!

David Cherry Tourmaster
'69 MGC roadster

P.S. Pacific Coast Air Museum sounds interesting, will watch agenda for when.