[Nobbc] Anglia stories

To: nobbc@autox.team.net
Subject: [Nobbc] Anglia stories
From: don <don@napanet.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 10:12:19 -0700
My second car was a '57 Anglia, and it did have the
sidevalve/flathead engine.  Car looked like new, had only 35k miles
on it, and it was ten years old.  It had been in my family, belonged
to my grandmother, then my uncle, then me.  My dad thought it was a
good car for a teenager, as he knew the car was a real slug.  It had
a three speed gearbox, and first was not synchcronized.  It was the
slowest car I have ever driven.  The engine was really weak, and a
friend and I put new rings in it.  It had some broken rings, so the
fix was the right one.  Did it without removing the engine.  That
gave the car a little more power.  The gap between 2nd and 3rd gear
was huge; you would wind the hell out of the little engine in 2nd,
and then it would almost lug in 3rd.  The car was solid and well
built, and endured the abuse I gave it.
Don Scott
Calistoga

At 08:33 AM 07/25/2010, paul@themussons.com wrote:
>My first car was an Anglia in England in about 1969. It did have
>synchro in all 4 gears, though the gear change was described as
>stirring porridge (oatmeal) with a large screwdriver. It was a
>pretty conventional straight 4 cylinder, pushrod 1500 cc (I think).
>It's predecessor was a side valve. I burned out the valves and had
>to rebuild the top end. I also had to replace pistons on another
>one. We did it from underneath without taking the engine out -
>pretty easy to work on.
>
>Paul Musson
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47