Kitty litter, floor painting, trouble lights.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Kitty litter, floor painting, trouble lights.
From: "Lee Daniels, daniels@tamu.edu" <DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 8:57:50 -0500 (CDT)
On kitty-litter and floor painting:

I get "oil-dri" or something like it in 50-lb bags for about $5 at the
auto-parts store.  To remove old oil stains on concrete, pour some of the
pellets onto the stain, then grind it in well, with a 4" piece of 2X4.
Wait an hour or so, then sweep or vacuum up the dust.  You should be left
with a nice white spot.  This has worked wonders on my garage, especially
before I painted the floor.

Before painting the floor, get some muriatic acid, make a 10% solution in a
bucket, and spread it around (quickly!) with a plastic squeegee or old mop.
Wear rubber-soled shoes. Lots of bubbling and fumes!  Don't breathe the
fumes!  Wash it off with water.  You may want to neutralize with a little
ammonia solution, but I didn't need too.  After it dries, sweep well (two,
maybe three times) to get up all the concrete dust that the etching process
creates.  Then paint that sucker.

and on trouble lights:

>You don't need to throw away the light.  Just use a proper bulb.
>Rough-service bulb with the tough rubbery skin over the glass.

Available at Sears, among other places.

>I have a FLUORESCENT trouble light as well as a couple of standard
>types.  It is not nearly as bright.

Or, if you can stand the heat, places like Home Depot have a 500-watt
quartz lamp (on a small stand, with a built-in reflector) for about $15.
It's hot, thought.  I wouldn't put it under a car, but it can really light
up a small area from a few feet away.

Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
 daniels@tamu.edu            (409) 845-3726          Fax (409) 845-9351