Buffing Machines

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Buffing Machines
From: Gil Fuqua <gfuqua@corpcomminc.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 08:59:20 -0500
I currently have a small 1/3 hp buffing machine and have found it to be too
small for the larger items I have recently tackled.  It bogs down too easily
and gets very hot after running for 20-30 minutes and longer.  I am looking
at the Baldor 3/4 hp and 1 1/2 hp buffers like those sold through Eastwood
and TIP.  The 1 1/2 hp machine has 31" spindles, 2" longer than the 3/4 hp
(the 1/3 hp has 18" long spindles).  Other than the horsepower difference,
the 3/4 hp and 1 1/2 hp machines appear to be the same?

The 3/4 hp machine sells for about $295 and the 1 1/2 hp machine is about
$375.  For the difference, the 1 1/2 hp machine seems the better buy.  Any
recommendations on whether the 3/4 hp machine is adequate, or whether the 1
1/2 hp machine is worth the difference?

Gil