Re: Electricity Theory/Practicality

To: Nickbk@aol.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electricity Theory/Practicality
From: "Jon N. LeChevet" <lechevet@worldweb.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 22:19:05 -0400
At 20:22 6/24/96 -0400, Nickbk@aol.com wrote:
>Fellow Shop Rats...
>
>I've seen a nut and a bolt, and I've even assembled/disassembled
>one or two, BUT, my knowlege of electricity ends just after I throw the
>switch, and it either works, or I call the electrical guy.
>
>So, I went out and got the 60 gal 5 hp "speedaire" ( same as a
>Campbell-Hausfield) compressor and tried to wire it myself. Hey, how hard
>could it be, right ? Only three wires on each end, piece-o-cake.
>Wrong-a-mundo.
>
>I went out and bought some overkill size wire and a plug to go into the 220
>outlet where the dryer sits in the garage. The instructions that came with
>the plug, say that the white wire goes on the center
>(weird angle) prong on the plug, which they note as "neutral" (?).
>The instructions do not seem to care where the other two wires go (black and
>green). So far, so good. Now I get into trouble. When I take the top of the
>connector box off of the compressor, I find that the green wire is definitely
>the ground wire on the unit. The two remaining connectors are marked + and -.
>Does it make a difference which is + and which is -, and how do I find out ?
>More importantly, is the prong that the white wire is connected to on the
>plug called "neutral" really the ground ? Should this "neutral" be hooked up
>to the green ground on the compressor, or should I wire all the like colors
>together ?
>
>H E L P
> Nick in Nor Cal

Whoa up!  Black, white, and green says single phase (110 volt) wiring.  The
dryer plug is phase to phase (220 volt) and calls for white, red, and black
wiring with green as the safety ground.

Green -- safety ground
White -- neutral (connected to the safety ground at the service entrance
Black -- phase A
Red   -- phase B
Blue  -- phase C (only found in three phase wiring)

+ and - ???????  --  only used with DC, not AC, motors.

Get someone who knows something about electricity to look at your hook-up
since it sounds like you are about to hook a 110 volt motor up to 220 volts.
Guaranteed smoke!!!

                        Jon N. LeChevet

                One lawyer will starve to death in a small town.
                Two lawyers in town
will wind up owning the town.
                        Anon.