Electrics + Genius = Not !

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrics + Genius = Not !
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 23:59:29 -0400
Fellow Shop Rats-

Thanks for all the quick responses...
I got responses which discussed sine way theory, and how it gets to be 220v,
and believe it or not, it made perfect sense and I think I even understood it
!
Unfortunately, most everyone who responded seemed to think that I ought to
have a red wire somewhere in the bunch, making four connections in total.
List wisdom also seemed to think that the neutral wire was a kind of extra
(safety ground), but that the green wire should be attached to the ground,
with the black and red carrying the heavy stuff. Now I am most confused...The
compressor has only 3 connections (including the grounded green wire) and the
outlet on the wall only has 3 prongs. So, where do I hook up this illusive
forth wire if I had it ? I know that I have some sort of 220v coming out of
the wall, and the compressor says that it is 220v all over it. Am I missing
something here ?

Guess I better fall back on my original theory...Call the Electric Guy
!!!!!!!!

If anyone wants to continue beating their head against the wall trying to
figure this out for me, I am trainable, and the theory part all souinded good
to me, and I would be appreciative as I would really like to know just what
the heck I am doing.

my new mantra...ohm oohhmm OOHHMM
Nick in Nor Cal