RE: Electricity Theory/Practicality

To: "Nickbk@aol.com" <Nickbk@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Electricity Theory/Practicality
From: Mark Miller <markm@tutsys.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 09:39:31 -0700

----------
From:   Jon N. LeChevet[SMTP:lechevet@worldweb.net]
Sent:   Monday, June 24, 1996 7:19 PM
To:     Nickbk@aol.com; shop-talk@autox.team.net

At 20:22 6/24/96 -0400, Nickbk@aol.com wrote:
>Fellow Shop Rats...
>
>I've seen a nut and a bolt, and I've even assembled/disassembled
>one or two, BUT, my knowlege of electricity ends just after I throw the
>switch, and it either works, or I call the electrical guy.
>
>So, I went out and got the 60 gal 5 hp "speedaire" ( same as a
>Campbell-Hausfield) compressor and tried to wire it myself. Hey, how =
hard
>could it be, right ? Only three wires on each end, piece-o-cake.
>Wrong-a-mundo.
>
>I went out and bought some overkill size wire and a plug to go into the =
220
>outlet where the dryer sits in the garage. The instructions that came =
with
>the plug, say that the white wire goes on the center
>(weird angle) prong on the plug, which they note as "neutral" (?).
>The instructions do not seem to care where the other two wires go =
(black and
>green). So far, so good. Now I get into trouble. When I take the top of =
the
>connector box off of the compressor, I find that the green wire is =
definitely
>the ground wire on the unit. The two remaining connectors are marked + =
and -.
>Does it make a difference which is + and which is -, and how do I find =
out ?
>More importantly, is the prong that the white wire is connected to on =
the
>plug called "neutral" really the ground ? Should this "neutral" be =
hooked up
>to the green ground on the compressor, or should I wire all the like =
colors
>together ?
>
>H E L P
> Nick in Nor Cal
>=20

Whoa up!  Black, white, and green says single phase (110 volt) wiring.  =
The
dryer plug is phase to phase (220 volt) and calls for white, red, and =
black
wiring with green as the safety ground.

Green -- safety ground
White -- neutral (connected to the safety ground at the service entrance
Black -- phase A
Red   -- phase B
Blue  -- phase C (only found in three phase wiring)

+ and - ???????  --  only used with DC, not AC, motors. =20

Get someone who knows something about electricity to look at your =
hook-up
since it sounds like you are about to hook a 110 volt motor up to 220 =
volts.
Guaranteed smoke!!! =20

OR:  copy the text on the plate at the electrical wiring and the hookup =
instructions (if any) to this site (or direct to me).  I agree that =
something sounds a tad inconsistent with the labelling.
And congrats on asking for some clarification rather than asking for =
help to carry a blown out motor to the dump.

Mark Miller
markm@tutsys.com
'I'm not an electrician but I play one on the net.'