Re: Recommendations for an electric grinder/cut-off wheel?

To: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>,
Subject: Re: Recommendations for an electric grinder/cut-off wheel?
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 17:04:06 -0400
At 11:15 PM 9/19/96 -0700, Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing wrote:

> Looking through my piles of catalogs, I saw some relatively cheap
> ($25-40) angle grinders from Chicago Electric. Roughly 3/4 hp, 10k
> rpm.  These types are dual handled, and look like a rotary sander;
> i.e. the grinding disc is perpendicular to the body of the tool.
> They look good for grinding, but can I also cut with them?

If it takes a 1/4" shank you should be ok.  My die grinder is an
angle grinder (head 90deg to the body).  I purchased a 1/4" shank
arbor with a 3/8" and 1/4" head.  I buy 3"x 1/8" or 1/16" thick
cutting disks and put them on the arbor.  It works pretty good.
As I said before, better than the 4" grinder.

>I'm more familar with the air grinder/cutter, where the shaft for
>the disc is in the same axis as the body of the tool.  The Sears
>catalog has one for $75, but it is listed as a 1/4 rotary grinder;
>again, no mention of cutting capability, or listing of any cutting
>discs.  The remainder of their offering are similar in design to
>the Harbor Freight ones.

The one you describe sounds like the electric one my dad has.  He
also uses the 1/4" arbor and the cutting disks on his.  His is an
inline one.  I don't think I've seen and angle version of it.

Someone suggested, using the money for the electric cut off tool and
putting it towards a compressor.  That's up to you.  However, one
thing I don't like about my dad's electric (oversized dremel) tool,
is it is bigger, and heavier than the air driven die grinder.  Also
when it catches, the inerta of the motor will really cause the tool
to jump, whereas the air tool simply stalls.  Also when you turn off
the electric tool, it keeps running for a while (again the inerta).
The air tool stops almost immediately.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!