Re: Garage Floor Painting Questions

To: bkelley@ford.com, jibrooks@JUNO.COM
Subject: Re: Garage Floor Painting Questions
From: RGibbs4553@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 20:27:59 -0500
> Caveats,
> 1.You need a vapor barrier under the floor ....
> otherwise the epoxy, ... can pop from
> the hyudraulic pressure of the water under the concrete.
> and the water squirted up about 2 feet.
snip

-That's somewhat contradictory from what I've heard.

-A friend who is in the hardware business and well versed -with what is
-commercially available sealed his damp basement a couple of -years ago
 -with epoxy.  The intent was *specifically* to block the  -moisture.

 - Brian

Yes but,

Fine Homebuilding did an article (or two) on waterproofing basement walls
sometime in the last coupe of years and a few of the points they raised were:
1. Don't count on waterproofing "membranes" (including water proof paint) to
be able to withstand the hydraulic pressure from standing water.  It IS able
to resist high moisture levels, but not standing water.

2. Because the hydraulic pressure from "standing" water will eventually find
it's way / create it's way through paint, epoxy, and other waterproofing
materials it is necessary to drain water away from the foundation (rain
gutters), provide good drainage, provide a proper grade, etc.

On a related topic: have any of you used/rented the concrete grinder
mentioned as a way to prepare the concrete ?

-Roger