Re: Garage Floor Painting Questions

To: jibrooks@JUNO.COM
Subject: Re: Garage Floor Painting Questions
From: Brian Kelley <bkelley@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 14:28:08 EST
Jack Brooks writes:

> I worked for Stonhard, one of the major epoxy flooring companies.  I can
> detail the process you are discussing over the week end when I have more
> time.

> Caveats,
> 1.You need a vapor barrier under the floor or really good drainage
> otherwise the epoxy, which gives you a water proof surface, can pop from
> the hyudraulic pressure of the water under the concrete.  Paint is
> microscopically porous and breathes, epoxy does not.  I didn't believe it
> either until I was shown an epoxy pop.  I hit it with a hammer and chisel
> and the water squirted up about 2 feet.

That's somewhat contradictory from what I've heard.

A friend who is in the hardware business and well versed with what is
commercially available sealed his damp basement a couple of years ago
with epoxy.  The intent was *specifically* to block the moisture.

So it seems it can be done if you use the right stuff..

  Brian

--
bkelley@ford.com
Not speaking for Ford.