Re: cheap air tools

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com
Subject: Re: cheap air tools
From: "Gorman, George" <ggorman@dsava.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 15:30:24 -0400
James:

I've use a cheapie set of air tools I got from Price Club over two years ago
($100 for impact wrench, air chisel, air ratchet, rotary sander, cutoff tool).
I've never had any major problems with them in less than industrial conditions
(I use them nights and weekends restoring my '61 TBird).  The impact wrench is
a little anemic (I got a big IR to do heavy work), and the air chisel stalls
occasionally, but what the hay.

You said you'd be using the cutoff tool to cut exhaust parts.  I tried this
with mine, and it did cut, but VERY slowly.  I wasn't too particular for my
application, so I used my trusy Milwaukee Sawzall; in two seconds the pipe was
cut.  With a proper blade, the Sawzall should give you a real clean cut too.

Just my two cents...

George Gorman
Manassas, VA