Re: PVC air piping

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: PVC air piping
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 18:13:34 -0500 (EDT)
Don questioned testing of PVC pipe:
> Has anyone tested this on their own?  Do something like fill a length of
> PVC to max compressor pressure then hammer it.  I have thought about
> pressurizing several pieces then shooting them with a .22.

I'm reminded of a "shop procedure" my grandmother told me about
many years ago.  When they were children, her brothers got
into trouble in the shop (a vintage 1800s blacksmith shop
still standing today -- a really interesting old building!)
for some "testing" they did with .22s.  Seems they were
taking .22 ammo and placing them on the shop anvil.  Then hitting
them with a hammer!  Seems my great-grandfather was really
angry when he found out.  No, not about the safety issue
we all cringe about over such story now -- but rather the
holes they were making in the shop wall! (Times do change.)

Seems like testing one piece of pressurized PVC with a .22
and making safety assumptions ranks right up there with
hitting .22s with a hammer.  Just because one goes the way
you want it to, doesn't make it a safe practice in the
long run!

I don't have any PVC for compressed air, and don't plan to
add any.  And I don't plan on hitting .22 ammo with a
hammer either!

Good luck with your testing...

Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com