Re: Workbench Construction Question

To: John Miller <johnm@ims.com>
Subject: Re: Workbench Construction Question
From: Martin Scarr <martins@efn.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 13:38:27 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, John Miller wrote:

> Since its use is for engine assembly/disassembly,
> I'm considering having a sheet metal benchtop
> fabricated to cover the 1 1/2" thick plywood top.
> The plan would be to have a single sheet formed
> into a verticle back splash panel as well as
> covering the front edge of the plywood.

I've made several very durable workbenches out of solid core doors.
Damaged or used ones are extremely cheap, I often get them for free.

> If the metal fabricator can handle it, I'd like to
> see a 1/8" lip on the front that keeps parts/fluids
> on the bench and off the floor.
>
> Is this what others have done?

Yes, it works well.  Any sheetmetal shop can fabricate it for you.  You
can also get a sink drain, and cut it into the top, drain it to a bucket
for easy cleanup.

Martin Scarr