Re: Workbench Construction Question

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Workbench Construction Question
From: johnm@ims.com (John Miller)
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 12:38:19 -0800
Thanks for all the info on the Workbench Construction Question.

Concensus seem to be:

1) Metal tops are a good feature for engine work (cleanup is easy and
thourough).
   Construction suggestions:
    1/8-3/16" steel - I'd be tempted to weld on it - and its not in a good spot
for that.
    Aluminum - Easier to work with.
    Stainless steel from a commercial supplier - may be the best material
overall.
    Sheet metal - should be ok and cheap - That's probably for me.

2) Add a drain if fluid spills are common and/or to aid cleanup. I will do this.
   Just an out of the way hole with a hose attached and leading to a bucket
should suffice.

3) Make sure of the height.  Base it upon what you are doing with the bench.
   I'm going to stay with 34" since it will be multipurpose and I
   already have a 36" and a 24" workbenches (the 24" was for my son back when
he was
   shorter than me).

I'll post back to the list how it turns out after construction and a few months
of use.

How did I get started on this project?  Let's see...
   - wanted to rebuild a VW race motor,
   - needed to clean the freshly machined block,
   - but first needed to dry my air supply for blowing off a just washed block,
   - Shop-Talker's suggest an air cooler/condensor in front of the water trap,
   - buy 50' of 1/2" OD tubing to pass air thru - but...
   - need to clear out side of garage to hang tubing,
   - opps, cleared out too much and now have room for new workbench over top of
compressor,
   - too dark over the bench, need to add lights for new workbench.

   - #@$% engine is still in pieces!

A friend of mine always says:
   "Before you can do anything, you have to do something else first."

John Miller