Re: Workbench Constr & shop ventilation

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Workbench Constr & shop ventilation
From: "Con P. Seitl" <seitl@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 13:45:34 -0800
Phil Ethier wrote:

> At 3:20 AM -0600 2/6/98, Con P. Seitl wrote:
>
> >But I know what I would
> >certainly do, and that's put in a wooden floor instead of concrete.
>
> May be illegal for cars.  Fire codes.  Heard that about Mass. on THIS OLD
> HOUSE a week or so ago.
>
> Phil
>
> Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>    Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
> 1970 Lotus 65 Europa S2 "Grace N. Violence"    A Street Prepared
> 1987 Volkswagen Quantum Syncro "The Schwartz"  H Stock
> 1987 Volkswagen Quantum Syncro "Radio Flyer"   Not if I value my fingers
> 1986 Chevrolet Suburban "The Bourbon"          When only huge will do

It sometimes make you wonder about these codes. Typical garage or
workshop has workbenches, studing, rafters, and God knows what else that
can burn laying about. Most fires that start burn upwards, and away from
source of ignition. You'd really have to have one hell'uva fire going to
start the floors on fire, and if you do, well, I'm afraid the rest of the
building will be fully involved. I wouldn't recommend a wooden floor in a
garage with a space beneath like another room etc, but on grade, sure,
why not.  But, if the code dictates no wood floors, well, you can't argue
that to the insurance guy eh?

Con......