Re: Garage Door Balance

To: "Jeff Guilford" <jagcret@knoxnews.infi.net>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Garage Door Balance
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 00:13:21 -0600

> From: Jeff Guilford <jagcret@knoxnews.infi.net>

> Does anyone know how to "balance" this type of mechanism?  I assume this
> means that I have to increase the load (or pre-load?) on the springs, but
> how do I do this--

1)  There are probably four holes arranged radially around the "drum".  You
insert a long steel bar and pull on it while your assistant loosens the
setscrew.  You then add more tension to the spring and then your assistant
tightens the setscrew.

> without endangering life, limb, and sanity?

2)  If you don't know what you are doing, you may break your arm.

>nd, how do
> you ensure that the two springs have approximately equal tension?

3)  I don't know.  Because of number 2, I let a pro handle it.  Not
interested in killing myself.  If I was installing one from scratch, I'd
take a shot at it, as I would tighten the damned thing up from it's
released state and learn as I went what I was getting into.  With an
existing installation, I have no idea how much force to expect.  No thanks.

> One final note:  I've had my eye on a drill press for awhile.  Anyone
have
> any good ideas on how to convince my wife that I can't install the garage
> door opener without benefit of this indispensable tool?   ;^)

Better you should find something else she wants done, then go out and get
the drill press and start right in on her project.