Re: Garage Door Balance

To: pethier@isd.net
Subject: Re: Garage Door Balance
From: james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com (James Babcock)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:01:56 -0500 (EST)
Phil Ethier wrote:
> > From: Jeff Guilford <jagcret@knoxnews.infi.net>
>
> > Does anyone know how to "balance" this type of mechanism?  I assume this
> > means that I have to increase the load (or pre-load?) on the springs, but
> > how do I do this--
>
> 1)  There are probably four holes arranged radially around the "drum".  You
> insert a long steel bar and pull on it while your assistant loosens the
> setscrew.  You then add more tension to the spring and then your assistant
> tightens the setscrew.

I've just installed a new door on my garage this weekend.  Part of the
instructions are written for the torsion springs.  It does say that you
need two _solid_ steel bars to accomplish the task of tightening the
new springs.  The instructions also warn against removing an
existing torsion spring mechanism.  I'm not sure what the difference
is, but they do warn that death is a possible result if you aren't
careful.

The springs on my door are extension springs with pullys, so I didn't
pay too much attention to the explanation of the tightening procedure.
I could fax you the page(s) if you'd like.

Jim
--
James A. Babcock, Software Engineer   email: james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com
Alcatel Data Networks                   WWW: http://www.adn.alcatel.com